six "INSPIRED" HOLIDAY DRINKS!
Avoiding or cutting back on alcohol during the holidays can be tough, whatever your reasons for not partaking may be. So… we’ve gathered together a collection of soul warming and cheerful holiday drinks to get you in a festive mood, without alcohol.
1. Hot Toddy
7 oz. hot black tea
1 tablespoon sugar-free honey
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 lemon wedge
1. Pour honey, lemon juice and spices into large mug.
2. Top with hot tea, stir, then add lemon wedge for garnish.
2. Orange Cranberry Mimosa
orange slice and sugar for the sugared rim
1 oz freshly squeezed orange juice
2 oz cold sweetened cranberry juice
2 oz cold sparkling apple cider (I used Martinelli's)
pinch of ground cinnamon
fresh cranberries, cinnamon stick, and rosemary sprig for garnish (optional)
1. Sugar the rim of a tall glass by wetting the rim with a slice of orange and dipping into a some white sugar.
2. Add the orange juice, cranberry juice, and sparkling apple cider to your glass. Top with a pinch of cinnamon and all the garnishes. Enjoy!
3. Hot Spiced Tea
6 C Water
1 tsp whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
6 tea bags (tea of choice, try a black tea like orange pekoe)
¾ c orange juice
½ c white sugar
¼ c pineapple juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Add water to pot, add cloves and cinnamon stick, bring water to a boil, remove from heat.
2. Add tea bags to water and set aside to steep until the tea is to your preferred strength, at least 5 minutes. Remove and discard cloves, cinnamon stick, and tea bags.
3. Stir orange juice, sugar, pineapple juice, and lemon juice together in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook and stir the juice mixture until the sugar dissolves completely. Pour juice mixture into the spiced tea; serve hot.
4. Grapefruit Mockmosa
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon sugar-free honey
1 12 oz. bottle of sparkling water, chilled
Long, thin strips of orange peel, grapefruit peel and/or lime peel, curled for garnish (optional)
Mint leaves for garnish (optional)
1. Combine orange juice, grapefruit juice, lime juice and honey and stir until honey is dissolved. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours to blend flavours.
2. Pour juice mixture into four glasses then stir in sparkling water.
3. Garnish with citrus peel strips.
5. The “Basic”: Sparkling Punch
If you’re stuck and don’t have much in the fridge, or you’re on a tight budget, all you need is some sparkling water or ginger ale, fruit juice and frozen fruit: try cranberries, pomegranate, orange/lemon slices, mint leaves… to throw on top or as a garnish.
Sparkling Pomegranate Punch variation
2 1/2 cups sparkling water
2 cups pomegranate juice
Lemon twists, for garnish
1. Combine pomegranate juice and water in large bowl or pitcher.
2. Serve over ice with a twist of lemon.
6. Hot Buttered Drink
Ingredients - the batter
This is a simple recipe + you can freeze it for up to 3 months.
2 sticks real butter (salted or unsalted, room temp)
2 cups powdered sugar
1 ½ cups lightly packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cloves (optional)
½ quart vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or use a hand mixer), whip butter, sugars and spices together until creamy and light. Add softened ice cream and blend until smooth (though there might be some lumps, that’s ok). Place batter in lidded freezer container and freeze. Freeze up to 3 months (or longer).
2. Spoon a tablespoon of butter batter into a mug
3. Pour in 1-1 ½ ounces of alcohol-free rum extract (or skip)
4. Fill mug with hot water (or hot cider), stirring gently to mix batter. Top with whipped cream + a cinnamon stick, or sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
Variation: by the glass
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter (soft)
1 dash ground cinnamon
1 dash ground nutmeg
1 dash ground cloves
1 splash vanilla extract
1-1 ½ ounces rum extract
5 ounces hot water or hot apple cider
Place the sugar, butter and spices into the bottom of a mug and mix well. Pour in the rum extract, add the hot water or apple cider and stir well. Optional: top with whipped cream, cinnamon stick.