We can't publish everything, but we welcome all submissions! This is a safe and supportive place to submit your work. And while we give preference to youth who live, attend school and/or work in Northumberland County, Ontario, anyone between the ages of 12 and 19 (anywhere in the world) is encouraged to submit their work.
1. All submissions must be accompanied by a completed submission form.
2. You must be between the ages of 12 - 19 to submit your work to the Inspire Studio section.
3. Flash Fiction & Poetry Theme. We have a suggested theme every issue, however you are always welcome to submit other work! Submissions should be under 1,000 words.
4. Hot Topics: Anyone (all ages) can submit an article for consideration in the Hot Topics section. Articles should be 500 words or less and must be a good fit with our publication. Is their an issue you're passionate about? Send us an article. And don't forget to check out the Hot Topics section for ideas!
5. Requesting anonymity. If, due to the personal nature of a piece, you don’t want your name published, please let us know when submitting your work. We will respect your request and not publish your name (we can also use initials only) in print or online, but we must still have accurate name and address information for every contributor.
6. Subject Matter. Keep it positive! This doesn’t mean you should avoid tough issues or controversial topics. However, we encourage you to end the story with a hopeful message if at all possible.
7. Suggested rating for all content: “14A”. Keep your main audience in mind (12 - 19) and avoid using hurtful language, hate speech, graphic images or violent content. Offensive entries will not be considered for publication. All work should be consistent with our mandate to "educate, inform and inspire" young people and will be selected and published at the discretion of our editors.
8. All written work should be submitted as follows: in a Word document, Times New Roman font, 12 point size, with minimal formatting (no headers/footers/graphics etc).
9. Editing. Editing is an important part of the writing process and we want you to show your best work! Free, professional editing services are offered for all written pieces selected for publication.
8. Visual art & photography. We accept digital submissions only, please do not send us the original piece. Visual art should be photographed at a good resolution, and sent as a .jpg file of your image. If you need advice on photographing your work, give us a shout!
9. Music. Please send your work as a .wav file or use sound cloud link.
10. Plagiarism. Inspire has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism. Just don't!
11. If your work is selected for publication, you will be notified.
12. Send us your best stuff! We can't wait to see it.